Steven Moffat, the showrunner of Doctor Who and Sherlock, said the art of good writing is making the reader want to read the next sentence. This is something I grasped early in the process, we obviously want people to read the screenplay to the end, and if they don't, its safe to say we've failed. I believe the trick is to acknowledge that each word is important, even the smallest word can help define a mode and the story. This isn't to say you should be in your thesaurus every other word, that curbs on the pretentious.
I have written scripts before, two, two scripts and they have gotten me nowhere, but from writing them, I have learnt multiple things, one of them being write as quick as possible. This not only gets your ideas out onto a page quicker, but also makes it easier to finish the script, and I have a lot of unfinished scripts due to me taking my time.
I recently rushed out the first draft of my upcoming project, 'Dance again', it took me a day. It's only ten pages, I rushed out the first draft and spent the day checking it, making sure everything is OK and it made sense. I cut scenes, changed dialogue, and tried to develop characters more.
I now ended up with a script that I think is my best, and Richard Curtisesk (which is only ever a good thing). It's subtle and sweet, and is the style I want to achieve. I then have sent out the script, to people who I know to try and find any hiccups. All feedback so far has been positive, I have had zero notes, which you could say it is good. I was pretty impressed how these people couldn't find any problems with it, and they weren't just being nice, I'd rather they rip it apart then worry about my feelings.
In my gut, I know I have something special here, and I know have months to makes sure that the story is perfect, as my friend said 'there's always room for improvement.' I am sceptical about sharing my script so early on, I want people to be surprised when they see the film, but I have promised to show the process from script to screen, so here is a link to the script, I hope you enjoy it, and any notes, or ideas please email me.
Link to Dance again: http://terryhall11.wix.com/script#!screenplays/ckys
Email: Terryhall_11@hotmail.co.uk
Till next time, Terry. x
Dance Again concept sketch.

No comments:
Post a Comment