Thursday, 16 July 2015

Life Beyond Facebook

I'll be honest with you, I love Facebook, I like being able to see the history. All those post and stupid messages me and my friends exchanged. I'd check Facebook every twenty minutes or so, reading peoples status laughing at how poorly their life sounds, we all do it. However, I also hate it, hate the way that its killed a real conversation, you've all seen it/ been it, that guy/gal, out at Nandos, struggling to speak to you friend/ date because there sat scrawling through pointless post. You want to wave your arms and say; 'hey life's happening over here.'

 I personally always resisted the temptation of looking at my phone when out, I hate the idea of coming across as social networking obsessed, waiting till my date was in the toilet, before whipping my phone out and checking my updates. I sat down last week and did my weekly life assessment, this is where I end up over thinking the smallest things.

  As I sat and reassessed my life, I realised, my life was on the small white device in my hand, my phone. From my friends on Facebook, to the celebrities I follow on twitter, to my pathetic attempts of dating on tinder and plenty of fish, precious photos on Instagram,  and my attempts to get work on shitty Linkedin.

   I looked at my phone, not lovingly like I once did, but in fear, like a Gremlin from the film 'Gremlins' (Dante,1984), a drain on my life, eating away,demanding more and more personal information, and I stuffed the details of my life into its gob, and it depressed me.

  I then spent a night removing my social accounts, I kept Instagram, I love having my photos on there (@terryhall17 if you want to follow). So now I am Facebook-less, I am one of those cool mysterious dudes who, when someone asks 'You on Facebook?' I can raise an eyebrow and give a smug smiled 'No, sorry.' Who is this mysterious man? People will ask, how will I know if he is or isn't single? They will cry as they wonder, what are his favourite films? and Where does he work?

 Maybe they could ask me, in person? Crazy I concept, I know, but you must admit it sounds a lot nicer then, having to click on a profile, scroll through their page, only to not be interested in them because they don't match your film taste.

 How am I living without Facebook? Well I'll be honest, with it being the summer break from uni, its hard, I have however been writing and reading more, and watching the Sherlock Holmes films. Despite the boredom, I am genuinely happier, Social networking felt like such a drain on my life, and what for? Do any of my witty and hilarious status updates matter now?

  I may return to Facebook but for now I'm far happier without it.

Till next time, Terry. X

1 comment: