I thought writing the scripts would be the hardest part of writing. I however have learn't that writing is only a small part of the process, rewriting is where the action is. I now look at my Haunted script and tears beginning to brew from my eyes and I ask; 'why, why, oh why aren't you good?'
This isn't just me doubting myself, its after having received feedback. I find it touching that people want to read my scripts and share their thoughts on it, and it helps, I have begun to notice my stupid mistakes. I then take these notes and prepare to rewrite, and I'm struggling, my story doesn't work any more. Why is this character saying that and why is she doing this?
As I struggle to make sense of my own work, I can't help but ask, why a screenwriter? I have other skills, I've been studying television and radio production, there are many areas I can go on to. Writing screenplays is it a reachable goal? Will I ever be able to sell a spec script? 2 scripts in and I am ready to call myself a screenwriter, is it all a bit premature?
At this moment in time it feels like I'm at the foot of mount Kilimanjaro, wondering if I should, if I can, take that first step. Why not me? People have done it before me, people will do it after me.
So this is me, taking the first step.
If you're reading this, and are wondering to yourself; 'am I reaching for the stars?' Unsure whether you're ever going to be able to grasp them?
You're not alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment