Monday, 20 July 2015

Writer's Block

James Gunn wrote on a Q&A with fans that he 'does not believe in writers block' that you must simply 'write past it.' I must say I disagree, however, I've only written two screenplays, what do I know. I do get stuck when I'm writing, and I blame writers block, I'm writing this post now, as I'm struggling with an Idea of mine.

This happens, which makes this happen, so therefore this should happen. Logical, that's what writing is circumstances coming together creating new situations; but, sometimes something goes wrong and it just doesn't make sense. Yes this happened, and then that happened, but my character wouldn't do this, so this doesn't make sense.

It's like an equation, everything should add together, and give you a new equation to give you the end, the answer. The smallest hiccup, like a wrong number, can derail your work. Then you spend days going back over you work, writing out your beats, where, where did I go wrong?

This is where most of the time, I give up with my scripts, scrap it, if its not making sense, its never going to make sense. This is and I know it, the wrong attitude, but in my head I can hear a voice saying don't settle with an idea, they'll be better ideas. So I write off my work, and this is where James Gunn's advice comes in handy. After all he writes Marvel films and seems to be doing well so maybe I should listen to his advice.

Keep writing, it could be the worse writing you've ever done, but it could surprise you. By carrying on writing, you keep your story alive, when it's on its knees. Its better to keep it alive, rather then having to put a bullet in its head.

So after this post, I intend to try again and push my idea further. It could turn into complete gold or rubbish, but among the rubbish I could find treasure, a life raft, where I can drag my idea to safety and together we paddle for the hopeful shore.

Till next time, Terry. x

No comments:

Post a Comment